- B.Sc.N.:The University of Western Ontario
- M.Sc.N.in Nursing Education: The University of Western Ontario
- SANE certificate:B.C. Women’s Hospital
- Certificate in Practice Education: University of British Columbia
- Certificate in Multimedia and Web Development: UBC
Affiliations / organizations: STWG, Sigma Theta Tau
Service: SPCA, Haven Society, Yellowpoint Drama Group
Research interests: Violence against Women, Simulation
Metcalf, B. & Yankou, D. (2003). Using Gaming to Assist Nursing Students to
Understand Ethics. Journal of Nursing Education, 42(5), 212-215.
- Metcalf, B. (1996, May). Women’s stories of surviving intimate relationship harassment. Paper presented at The University of Western Ontario/Iota Omicron annual research day, London, Ontario.
- Metcalf, B., & Schweitzer, A. (1997, April). Terrorism as a context for daily life: Harassment, a primary tool of abuse. Paper presented at the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International Conference, Charleston, West Virginia.
- Schweitzer, A., & Metcalf, B. (1998, May). Creating congruence between methodology and method: Videotape brings the story home. Paper presented at Revealing Meaning for Nursing and Health: Conference on Phenomenology and Hermeneutics, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Metcalf, B. & Clarke, M. (2009, October). Go big or go home: The Use of Humour as a Tool to Engage the Learner. Paper presented at Engaging Learners: The challenge for Clinical Nurse Educators, Vancouver, BC
- Eschak, C., Metcalf, B., & Huml M. (2014, April). Applying Calibrated Peer Review to the CAEN Curriculum: An Innovative Teaching Strategy. Paper presented at the 2014 Collaboration for Academic Education in Nursing Conference: CAEN Version 2.0: Innovations in Teaching the CAEN curriculum; Courtenay, B.C.
- Metcalf, B. (2015, June). Debriefing with Good Judgement: The Harvard Model of Debriefing. Paper presented at the 2015 BC Lab Educators Conference; Courtenay, BC.
- Metcalf, B. (2017, May). Teamwork Explored Through an Interprofessional Lab Day.Paper accepted to be presented at the Nursing Lab Educator Conference; Parksville, BC
- Metcalf, B. (1999, May). Modern Tragedy. One act play based on Master’s thesis presented at The University of Western Ontario/Iota Omicron annual research day, London, Ontario.
- Metcalf, B. (2017, May). Learning Activities That Really Schmeck: Bringing the Outside World in. Workshop accepted to be presented at the VIU Teaching and Learning Conference: Nanaimo, BC
- What are you currently teaching: 2nd year BSN lab, 3rd year global nursing, running simulations for BSN and LPN programs.
- What is your special area of teaching: simulation
Contact email and phone number
250-753-3245 x 2447